Shaun C. Whiteside works with acrylic paint in a style most influenced by Abstract Expressionism, with an emphasis on the metaphysical and emotional realm, rather than on optical reality. Using several layers of thin glazes, partially washed away, he creates oppressively dense atmospheric environments, with biomorphic, liquid shapes within them.
Whiteside graduated with a BA from CNU's art department in 2007, and received an MFA from Radford University in 2011, where he studied under Doctor Halide Salam. He is currently an adjunct instructor at Radford University.
Whiteside's work has been awarded First Place/Best in Show in:
- Lynchburg, VA, at the Riverviews' 2021 “13th Annual Juried Art Show,”
- Lynchburg, VA, at the Academy Center for the Arts' “2019 National Juried Art Exhibition,”
- Waynesboro, VA, at the Shenandoah Valley Art Center's 2017 "40 Under 40" Exhibition,
- Bedford, VA, at the Bower Center for the Arts' “2016 Annual National Juried Exhibition,”
- Lynchburg, VA, at the Lynchburg Art Club's 2015 “Water Ways” exhibition,
- Lynchburg, VA, at the Riverviews' 2015 “7th Annual Juried Art Show,”
- Virginia Beach, VA, at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art's "New Waves 2013" exhibition,
- Floyd, VA, at the Jacksonville Center for the Arts' “2013 Juried Show,”
and in Newport News, VA, at the Peninsula Fine Arts Center's "2010 Biennial Exhibition."